Thursday, December 9, 2010

Reflections of 2010

The year the world tapped me on the shoulder and said "You should know this by now but - You can accomplish anything."

2010 has been one hell of a year! So much has happened...

1. Made a rediculous New Year's Resolution that I actually stuck to throughout the entire year

2. I worked under a new supervisor - the ambiguity and off-hands approach was something I was not used to and really nervous to engage in, but I grew a lot more confidence in myself and my abilities

3. Graduated from CSU in May - I'm a first gen and it felt amazing. I still don't think it has fully hit me yet that I have a college degree!

4. Did a lot of crying in terms of my love life and had to let go of a good dog. The upside to this is that I have come a long way and I know that I will be ok

5. I was the Maid of Honor in my sister's wedding. I love her So much and could not be happier for her

6. Worked with my dad for a couple months crawling around in attics and installing insulation - Dirty dirty work but I am so proud of my dad for having such a good business going.

7. All my Peace Corps process came together! I remember first thinking about it, making the decision to apply, getting the application in, all the interviews, all the paperwork and finally getting the paper saying I was going to Madagascar for 27 months!

8. I have gone through Pre-Service Training in Peace Corps Madagascar and met some great people and made some good friends! I've been trained to talk to rural communities about Health and have learned a foreign language - the Betsileo dialect.

9. I have made it through 2 and a half months at my site. Kids come by way too often, men are creepy, my mayor is kind of a big deal and my commune is so well established in terms of people knowledgable about health issues and whatnot that my biggest problem will be finding how I can help. Made it to In-Service Training!

10. Had friends to my site and did an information session with the health educators in my commune about the "Hot Bow" - basically a make-shift crock pot to help them save on wood/charcoal. Did a demonstration in one of my other fokontany but didn't end up going to the other scheduled ones because well, it's Madagascar...but all good, watched a lot of Dexter!


There is so much more that I went through in 2010 but it is just too much to keep track of. I have grown so much as a person and in ways that I can't even really explain. I am going through a once-in-a-lifetime experience in my early 20's and it has only just begun.

I can only imagine what 2011 will bring!

1 comment: