Friday, October 22, 2010

Birthday #23 in M/car

Do I feel any older? No, somehow you never do on your birthday

What did I do? Not a whole lot in terms of celebrating, birthdays are not big here. I worked, cooked the same food as always, did a bit of laundry - just another day really. But I did have a beer after my dinner haha

It is the beginning of week 4 at site. Holy crap!

Tamana tsara! (settled well)

My first week I realized how different it is to live alone. It is really quite at night. Have you ever heard stuff at night and totally freaked yourself out for no reason at all?? Yeah, I did that my first week... Long story short - I thought someone had gotten through my fence, the police and mayor ended up at my house, nothing was actually wrong and people are still talking about it... I feel like such an idiot!

Anyway, I have two rooms (bedroom and kitchen), a good sized yard with space to garden. There is a water pump near by and I am close to the commune, CSB II (hospital) and market too.


A glimpse into my day to day:

-I go to the CSB II three mornings a week
-Cook every meal
-Language tutoring three times a week
-Big market days are wednesday and sunday. Bargaining is a big part of the culture
-Saturdays I play with my counterpart's kid
-Sundays there are soccer games
-Another volunteer lives 8k from me and comes on sundays for market so we chill
-Free time is spent reading, cooking, chatting with people and walking aroung. I do a fair amount of just thinking too (like wondering what cyclne season is going to be like) haha

No comments:

Post a Comment