Friday, October 22, 2010

Health Care in my rural commune

CSB II weekly schedule

Monday: Prenatal Consultations
Tuesday: Vaccines
Wednesday: Illness Consultations
Thurdsay: Family Planning
Friday: Vaccines

I go in on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday mornings. The way it works is when people arrive, mostly women, they stack their karnes (little booklets where all they health info is, their health passport, if you will) outside the door - this is hz they keep track of the order. They sit and wait for the midwives and doctor to arrive, wait for their name to be called and then go in for their consultation. While they wait is an opportunity to get out health messages. This is eo oh eo (more or less) where I come in, well this is where they let me do my PC thing. I can talk about STIs, HIV/AIDS, Diarreah, ARI, Hygiene, Clean water, Safe motherhood, Nutrition - there is a lot!

The only thing is that the CSB II is already pretty well established. They have a doctor. They have 2 midwives. An organization called SALFA is working with the CSB II, they have established health educators in each fokontany (surrounding villages) and I basically do what they do but in poor Malagasy. There is also a WASH worker here to talk about latrines/kabones, clean water and hygiene.

This is great! But I feel like my biggest challenge is going to be finding projects to do that they don't already have covered... I might need to help motivate the health educators to do more - that will be most sustainable. And going out to the far fokontanys will probably be best.

No comments:

Post a Comment